Pregnancy can be one of the most exciting times in a woman’s life. Suddenly, it’s not just your own self you’re responsible for–there another being that’s dependent on you and your actions to survive–and thrive. Every woman would like an edge in not only delivering a healthy baby but also experiencing a healthy pregnancy. Look no further than chiropractic to give an expectant mother that edge.
Before we delve into the benefits of chiropractic care for expectant mothers, let’s first discuss a question probably on a lot of women’s minds:
Is chiropractic care safe during pregnancy?
The answer is yes. Here at Georgia Clinic of Chiropractic (Augusta, GA) we have successfully treated pregnant woman for a variety of conditions. I’ve also included the answer to this question from The American Pregnancy Association website: There are no known contraindications to chiropractic care throughout pregnancy. All chiropractors are trained to work with women who are pregnant. Investing in the fertility and pregnancy wellness of women who are pregnant or trying to conceive is a routine care for most chiropractors.
The 3 benefits a pregnant woman can experience under chiropractic care are:
1. Reduction in pain with carrying the child and during labor.
2. Reduced time of labor.
3. Improved fetal positioning.
Reduction in pain with carrying the child and during labor:
The results of collaborative medical and chiropractic studies indicate that 75-85% of pregnant patients who received Chiropractic care during their pregnancies found pain relief and a significant decrease the occurrence of “back labor”. (Shaw G. When to adjust: chiropractic and pregnancy. J Am Chiropr Assoc. 2003;40(11):8–16.)
Reduced Time of Labor:
A study was conducted by chiropractic researcher, Dr. Joan Fallon, DC., to investigate the impact chiropractic treatments had on labor times. First-time mothers receiving chiropractic care during pregnancy experienced a 24% reduction in labor time in a. Mothers giving birth for the second or third time were reported to experience a 39% reduction in labor time. Chiropractic care throughout pregnancy not only reduces or relieves discomfort, helping mom stay active, but enhances the overall health of mom and baby, paving the way for a safe and natural delivery.
Another study by Irvin Henderson MD, indicated that pregnant women receiving chiropractic care in the third trimester were “able to carry and deliver with more comfort.”
There is another aspect beyond just length of labor to consider. Another factor in labor progress and even pain levels is the proper positioning of the fetus.
1. It has long been accepted that a breech baby (a baby presenting foot or buttock first instead of head first) is more difficult to deliver, often resulting in a Cesarean. It is also known that a posterior baby (a baby who, while head down, is facing forwards rather than face towards the mother’s spine) creates the most painful labor conditions.
2. One of the biggest benefits to regular chiropractic care during pregnancy is that a properly balanced and open pelvis allows more room for the fetus to turn into a proper position to ease labor.
3. Many chiropractors have specialized training in a technique to encourage a breech baby to turn called Webster’s technique. According to the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics there is an 82% success rate in turning breech babies using the Webster’s technique (July/August 2002). Another study showed that regular chiropractic care also reduces the chances of posterior labor, sometimes called back labor (Diakow, 1991).
Currently, the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA) recommends that women receive chiropractic care throughout pregnancy to establish pelvic balance and optimize the room a baby has for development throughout pregnancy. With a balanced pelvis, babies have a greater chance of moving into the correct position for birth, and the crisis and worry associated with breech and posterior presentations may be avoided altogether. Optimal baby positioning at the time of birth also eliminates the potential for dystocia (difficult labor) and therefore results in easier and safer deliveries for both the mother and baby.
Finding a Chiropractor in Augusta, GA For Your Prenatal Care
If you are looking for a chiropractor in Augusta GA, feel free to call our friendly staff to set up a complimentary consultation to find out how our prenatal care would benefit your pregnancy. I encourage all pregnant women to make an appointment for a Chiropractic assessment to determine an appropriate treatment, wellness and exercise plan for a happy and healthy pregnancy and delivery. We are also more than happy to work with your midwife, obstetrician and/or doula to help ensure that you are receiving the best care for yourself and your developing baby.
The Georgia Clinic of Chiropractic Blog is written by Dr. Mark Huntsman.
Augusta GA Chiropractor Georgia Clinic of Chiropractic provides customized services. Visit our main website at www.georgia-clinic.com for chiropractors in Augusta GA and chiropractors in Evans GA that provide customized care.
Choose several options to schedule your appointment: call (706) 814-5053 or use our online form.