Back Pain is #1 Disability Worldwide
A global collaborative study regarding global heath was announced recently. The study was performed by the World Health Organization, the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, University of Queensland school of Population Health, Harvard school of Public Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg school of Public Health, University of Tokyo, and the Imperial College London.
The massive collaborative study came to the conclusion that low back pain was identified as the leading cause of disability worldwide. Neck pain was also identified as the number four cause of disability worldwide.
Here are some alarming statistics from the Project Findings:
- Musculoskeletal conditions such as low back pain, neck pain and arthritis affect more than 1.7 billion people worldwide.
- Musculoskeletal conditions such as low back pain have a greater impact on the health of the world population (death and disability) than HIV/AIDS, tropical diseases including malaria, the forces of war and nature, and all neurological conditions combined.
- Low back pain is the most dominant musculoskeletal condition.
- Current estimates suggest that 632.045 million people worldwide suffer from low back pain and 332.049 million people worldwide suffer from neck pain.
- New Research Shows Chiropractic Treatments are Superior for Musculoskeletal conditions.
Evidence that Chiropractic Works for Back Pain
The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services website lists some key points about chiropractic care for low back pain, including the following: Spinal manipulation appears to be a generally safe treatment for low-back pain when performed by a trained and licensed practitioner.
The guideline continues to point out that in 2007, the American College of Physicians and the American Pain Society included spinal manipulation as one of several treatment options for practitioners to consider when low-back pain does not improve with self-care.
In addition, the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services website states that a 2011 review of 26 clinical trials looked at the effectiveness of different treatments, including spinal manipulation, for chronic low-back pain. The authors concluded that spinal manipulation is as effective as other interventions for reducing pain and improving function.
Don’t Be a Back Pain Statistic
Part of correcting the problem of pain is knowing where to go for help.
At Georgia Clinic of Chiropractic (Augusta, GA) our customized treatments are tailored to each and every back pain sufferer. With our personalized treatments, we have been able to help many Augusta GA patients from back pain as well as other musculoskeletal conditions such as neck pain, arthritis, and fibromyalgia. If you would like to get started today on treating the root cause of your pain, call our friendly office at (706) 814-5053 or schedule your appointment online.
The Georgia Clinic of Chiropractic Blog is written by Dr. Mark Huntsman.
Augusta GA Chiropractors Georgia Clinic of Chiropractic provides customized care. Visit our main website at www.georgia-clinic.com for a chiropractor in Augusta GA and a chiropractor in Evans GA that provides customized treatments..
You can schedule your appointment by calling our friendly staff at (706) 814-5053 or use our online form