The knee has been called the “middle child” of the lower extremities because much of its pain is actually caused by the siblings that surround it, namely the hip and ankle. Poor mobility or instability in either of these of these joints can result in mild to chronic pain in the corresponding knee. For example, Knee problems can develop in and around the knee joint and can be caused by dysfunction or disease in the patella (kneecap) meniscus (knee joint) or in the surrounding ligaments or tendons. The muscles that attach to the knee may also experience problems. For instance, a quadriceps strain (the big muscle that runs down the front of the leg) can cause difficulty and pain when bending the knee joint.
Of course, knee pain can also be the product of improper movement, in particular, squatting with bad form. Trauma and overuse are other common causes.
Some examples of conditions we treat every day as experienced chiropractors in Augusta GA are:
- Patellofemoral Syndrome: Anterior (front) knee pain going up and down stairs
- IT Band Syndrome: Pain on the outside of the knee worse with running.
- Patellar Tendinits (Jumper’s Knee): Anterior (front) knee pain with jumping or running.
- Popliteus Tendinitis: Lateral (outside) knee pain following downhill running.
- Osgood Schlatter Disease: Pain and swelling at the anterior (front) knee, extra bone growth.
- Bursitis: Pain over the inside or outside of the knee.
- MCL Strains: Pain on the inside of the knee with rotation.
- Meniscus Tear: Pain with knee flexion, possible clicking in the knee.
- Osteoarthritis: Stiffness in the knee worse with prolonged sitting or walking.
- Trochanteric Bursitis: Pain on the outside of the hip; pain on the hip when lying on it; usually a burning sensation.
Whether a knee condition is acute (injury related) or chronic (wear and tear related) the importance of getting a good diagnosis and receiving the proper treatment cannot be understated. Although analgesics can help relieve some pain and swelling, it takes proper corrective measures to address the underlying cause of the problem. A Doctor of Chiropractic is specially trained to treat these types of conditions at this level.
A consultation with a chiropractor in Augusta GA that has a good track record of successfully treating conditions related to the knee could help you determine just how much you can do to improve the condition of your knees. Here at Georgia Clinic of Chiropractic we have great success in treating patients with a variety of knee conditions, and we are also one of the few clinics in the Augusta GA area able to customize your treatment with cold laser, if necessary. To find our if our specialized treatments for chiropractic in Augusta GA are right for you, call us today for a complimentary consultation.
The Georgia Clinic of Chiropractic Blog is written by Dr. Mark Huntsman.
Augusta GA Chiropractors Georgia Clinic of Chiropractic provides customized chiropractic care. Visit our main website at www.georgia-clinic.com for a chiropractor in Augusta GA and a chiropractor in Evans GA that specializes in customized treatments.
You can schedule your appointment by calling our friendly staff at (706) 814-5053 or use our online form.